YEHUDI MENUHIN’S BEET SALAD
1. Mix grated raw beets and finely grated almonds.
2. Stir in cream and lemon juice to right consistency.
3. Serve in individual nests of butter lettuce with olive oil and lemon dressing on only the lettuce.
1 bunch watercress
6 heads Belgian endive
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon minced onion
1. Before untying the bunch of watercress, cut off part of the stems to make short sprays. Discard the remaining stems. Untie the bunch.
2. Crisp the watercress sprays and endive in ice water about fifteen minutes before using. Dry gently in paper towels.
3. Cut the endive heads in half lengthwise, beginning at the root ends. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
4. Combine the olive oil, vinegar and seasonings. Mix well.
5. Place the endive and watercress in a salad bowl and sprinkle with the salad dressing . Toss lightly.
YIELD: 6-8 Servings
JOHN and FRANK
PLUS…SONGWRITING CONTEST ENTRIES
To View Entries Into Renee Ashley’s “Christmas Song Songwriting Contest” Visit Renee Ashley’s MySpace Blog At:
Safeway and Albertson’s are Renee Ashley’s favorite stores.
*Renee Ashley Baker’s answer is still “NO” to Gale Hurd and “NO” to Gail Katz.